Re: tg3 driver fails

Am Mittwoch, 6. Juli 2005 17:09 schrieb Jurij Smakov:
> Yes, this is a known problem. The firmware has been removed from the
> driver due to unclear licensing information and failure to comply with
> DFSG (Debian Free Software Guidelines). I am afraid that the only feasible
> solution for Sarge kernels is to rebuild your kernel (or, at least, the
> tg3 module) using the pristine kernel source from kernel.org. The efforts
> to make it work in future installer and kernel versions are under way.

They removed that code without actually testing that the driver still works or
without providing any method to make it working again? Why didn't they remove
the whole driver, then?
However, I agree that all firmware should be removed from the kernel and
provided externally (like done with the AVM B1 ISDN cards).
However, Debian _must_ tell then, where to find the firmware (means: don't let
the user alone with this)!

HS