RE: Debian on Sparc 4 - woody to sarge - some progress

Title: Message
Hi All,

Well, I gave it another bash, but I still experienced a problem with the reboot.

Applicable output seen are: -

<snip>
VFS: Disk quotas vdquot_6.5.1
devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
devfs: boot_options 0x0
Console: switching to mono PROM 80x34
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 812K size 1024 blocksize
Initializing Cryptographic API
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
NET4: Unix domian sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or 08:01
  Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

I have no idea what L1-A is and cannot seem to get a prompt, so I rebooted and used 'stop-a' to get the boot prompt.

I used the following command: -

linux image=1/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-sparc32 initrd=1/boot/initrd.img-2.4.2.27-2-sparc32 root=/dev/sda1

It appeared to be working, decompressing the image, but then I just got what appeared to be the prom prompt back: -

Uncompressing image...
PROMLIB: obio_ranges 1
bootmem_init: Scan sp_banks,   init_bootmem(spfn[20a],bpfn[20a],mlpfn[3faf])
free_bootmem: base[0] size[3faf000]
reserve_bootmem: base[1000000] size[10d000]
reserve_bootmem: base[0] size[20a000]
reserve_bootmem: base[20a000] size[7f8]
Booting Linux

Type  'go'  to resume
Type  help  for more information

Typing 'go' booted into Linux with the upgraded kernel surprisingly, I thought I was back at the beginning again ... shows you how often I have done that before ... never :-)

So, before doing anything else, I thought it would be wise to check a few things and also understand why I got the problem booting into the new kernel and what to do to repair everything.

I found out my ethernet interface is missing, an ifconfig -a just shows my loopback, which is possibly unfortunate.  There is no associated hostname file in /etc anymore.  I think this means I will have to configure the kernel which I have also not done before, so it could be interesting, which is why I say it is _possibly_ unfortunate :-)

Checking the kern.log I see this is indeed a SPARC4 sun4m which clears up an earlier question: -

ARCH: SUN4M
TYPE: SPARCstation 4

:-)

I also see that it has seen my ethernet interface as it states the MAC in the log.  Checking the syslog I see only the following: -

Ethernet address: <MAC>

Whereas I used to see the below entries when it worked ok: -

Ethernet address: <MAC>
eth0: LANCE <MAC>
eth0: using auto-carrier-detection.
eth0: Carrier Lost, trying TPE

As this was a completely basic system with hardly any software installed (wanted to upgrade it first) there is not too much to check, I can create, edit and remove files.  It would be good to get to a system which needs no interaction on a reboot and can communicate with other devices though :-)  Can anyone help out?

Thanks again for your time all.

Cheers,

Steve