RE: Debian on Sparc 4 - woody to sarge - some progress

Title: Message
Hi again All,

After looking around a bit more it seems like this could be some sort of module issue.

I have the correct settings in /etc/network/interfaces

I noticed a post on the net regarding a similar issue which said that there was no discover1 seen in the output and that modules were being loaded specifically.  Looking at the kern.log I cannot find a line with discover1 and I see 5 modules being loaded and lsmod shows them to be: -

ext3
jbd
sd_mod
esp
scsi_mod

/etc/modules is empty but it says it should have a list of modules being loaded at boot time.

under /etc/modutils/arch there isn't anything which looks like a sparc module, just alpha, atari, i386, various m68k files, various powerpc files, s390 and s390x

Although in the modules.conf there is no processing of the arch files, so it seems that it isn't needed there.

This could be tantamount to chasing a gazelle and about as much use as a chocolate fireguard but I see the file paths under modutils is empty but should specify a path to where the modules reside.  Perhaps that is taken care of in the code somewhere as I see under /lib/modules there is a directory for both kernels.

One thing to note here is that there are more modules under the old kernel, which as it is 2.2.x I wasn't sure if it was a modular kernel, I thought that was with 2.4.x only.

I see under the /lib/module/2.2.x directory there is no sunhme.o, yet there is under /lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel/drivers/net ... doesn't sunhme.o take care of my eth0 interface? ... or not as the case maybe :-)

I have managed to find the 5 modules under various subdirectories of /lib/modules/2.4.x why are there just 5 loaded?

I cannot find a reference to the 5 modules loaded in either the /etc/modules.conf or the associated /etc/modutils files.

Seems I will definitely need some help here as I cannot manually configure the interface.  Even though there is a reference to it in the kern.log, I get a "No such device" when I try to configure it.

Here's hoping that someone out there knows the answer as I am very reluctant to just start editing files and rebooting, which I still have not done by the way ;-)

Regards all,

Steve