timeout=100
read-only

image=1/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        initrd=/initrd.img

image=1/vmlinuz.old
        label=linuxOLD
        initrd=/initrd.img.old

I should then remove the existing symlink and create a new one called
vmlinuz.old pointing to my 2.2.20 kernel and create a new symlink called
vmlinuz pointing to the new 2.4.27 kernel

Yes, except that initrd= option for 2.2.20 (woody) kernel is not necessary, since it does not need/support initrd. And you will also need to create a symlink:

/initrd.img -> /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-2-sparc32

[..]
And failing that to be able to use the old kernel by doing: -

linux image=1/boot/vmlinux-2.2.20-sun4cdm
initrd=1/boot/initrd.img-2.2.20-sun4cdm root=/dev/sda1

Again, initrd option is not necessary for booting 2.2.20 kernel.

Do these need to be proceeded with the command 'boot'?

You'll need to type these at the 'boot:' prompt given by SILO, not at the PROM 'ok' prompt.

Architecture-specific modutils configuration not found, using defaults
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.20/hfs.o

This can be safely ignored.

Setting up ash (0.3.8-37) ...
scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 3, lun 0, CDB: 0x03 00 00 00 10 00
Info fld=0x1e7ec2, Current sd08:07: sns = f0 3
ASC=11 ASCQ=43
Raw sense data:0xf0 0x00 0x03 0x00 0x1e 0x7e 0xc2 0x0c 0x0d 0x32 0x04
0x2a 0x11 0x15 0x80
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:07, sector 590354

That looks like a hardware problem. It might be just a controller quirk, or the disk might actually have physical problems on it.

I have not edited the silo.conf or symlinks just yet, I thought it wiser
to see if there any tips from this message.  I remember that when the
kernel package is installed that there is a question about symlinking
but cannot quite remember it, something about doing it from scratch.

Yeah, after kernel package installation it will try to set up the symbolic links /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd.img, pointing to the latest installed kernel and initrd image respectively. You can either use those in your silo.conf, or create symlinks manually in / and use silo.conf mentioned above. Either way should work.

Good luck,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org