Re: running Debian on sun4c

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Jeremie Koenig wrote:

It works GREAT!  Thank you very much!

Nice to hear that it worked out.

I guess it'd also be useful if I produced d-i images with your udebs and
tested them. Tell me if there's anything else I could do.

Yes, next step would be to create the installation media (at least mini-iso) which does not use umul/udev. The only remaining task after that is to identify the packages compiled with optimizations (should not be that many) and make a separate repository with non-optimized versions for them. I think it is completely feasible to provide a working unofficial port of sarge for sun4c that way. By the way, you can check for presence of these instructions by running

objdump --disassemble-all <name_of_library_or_binary> | grep umul

If you will make significant progress in this, you could apply for an alioth project and host the needed files there.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org