Re: running Debian on sun4c

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Jeremie Koenig wrote:

Hello again,

although netbooting woody, sarge/2.4 or sarge/2.6 images failed in
various ways, I finally got woody installed there. Woody seemed to run
fine, but now that I've upgraded to sarge's libc, everything segfaults,
So I guess sarge doesn't support sun4c, as I read on a page from
wiki.debian.net.

I'm probably going to stick to woody for now, and see if I can get sarge
to work by recompiling everything later. I'll keep you informed if I do.

Thanks for your answers,

Hi Jeremie,

Note that most Debian's packages are compiled WITHOUT the optimizations, which would prevent them from running on sun4c. The optimizations are turned on only for a handful of packages, for which benefit from using the umul/udiv instructions is significant. Unfortunately, glibc is one of them. Some time ago I have built sarge glibc without those optimizations, and I would expect it to work on sun4c. Debs are available at

http://www.wooyd.org/debian/sun4c/

If you have managed to boot sarge kernel on woody, you definitely should try using this glibc, it might just work for you. If this works, then we
can work further on it.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org