Re: Status of Debian on Sun Blade 150

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Jurij Smakov wrote:

only occur (given that the CD is properly mounted under /cdrom) if it fails to read the contents of the /cdrom/.disk/base_components file (which is present on CD). I tend to think that it was just some random cd-rom glitch (I didn't encounter any problems during my testing). Could you please try reproducing it, and if the problem persists, return to main menu, start a shell and check that the mentioned file indeed exists and contains the string 'main' (without quotes)?

I've burnt the image again, but this time I've mounted it first on my
desktop Linux installation. Then I copied all the files:

$ mkdir remove && cd remove
$ cp -av /mnt/cdrom/ .
$ du -sk

So I haven't really noticed any I/O problems this time.

And the problem I described with the parted is consistent on the same
machine. I can't get it to display partitions after I select manual
partitioning from its menu.

I'll try to run installer from the netboot TWICE. I expect that during the first run it will be okay (so I'll allow parted to format the partitions),
while on the second run it will fail to display partitions again.
Keep in mind that I have only 4 more machines left for testing :-)

Ok, here goes the first run. I have three options:

* Use the largest continuous free space
* Erase entire disk: IDE1 master (hda) - 40.0 GB ST340016A
* Manually edit partition table

So I go with the third one...
Ok, it works.

IIRC on the 'failed' run I've had only two last options, but no
partition list, after selecting manual. Hmm. If there only was fdisk
on the d-i CD........... I could tell you more.

And you were right. Checking on the 2nd console showed that:

$ cat /cdrom/.disk/base_components
main

... everything looks fine. So the installer progressed further.
And believe me or not, it finished installing Debian base system,
without any problems! Impressive.

Reboot. Boot options: Linux and LinuxOLD.
Kernel 2.4.27 boots, DHCP configures the network.
Then the Debian base system vonfigurator shows up, as it should.
Congratulations! Another flawless installation after such long time!

Now let's try the other run and see what parted is going to display.
Indeed, there are only two options now:

* Erase entire disk: IDE1 master (hda) - 40.0 GB ST340016A
* Manually edit partition table

And of course, no partitions list. I think it's some kind of a bug.
A CD is the same (and it's burned ok this time!), but parted refuses
to cooperate :-|

Anyway, it's been fun. Hope this helps. Logs are attached to this mail.

Friendly,
Wiktor Wandachowicz