Re: Status of Debian on Sun Blade 150

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Jurij Smakov wrote:

Hi Wiktor,

[snip]

According to the logs the base-installer (it's postinst script, actually) exited with error "cannot_install". According to the source, this error can only occur (given that the CD is properly mounted under /cdrom) if it fails to read the contents of the /cdrom/.disk/base_components file (which is present on CD). I tend to think that it was just some random cd-rom glitch (I didn't encounter any problems during my testing). Could you please try reproducing it, and if the problem persists, return to main menu, start a shell and check that the mentioned file indeed exists and contains the string 'main' (without quotes)?

Now I didn't really expect this, but after booting a machine with the
netboot image you provided and switching to the 2nd console I got:

# ls -a /cdrom/.disk
.   ..  base_components base_installable    info    udeb_include
# cat /cdrom/.disk/base_components
cat: Read error: Input/output error

You are pure genius! I'll try another burning session soon.
And maybe another disk. At least I know what to look for.

BTW. I've found a similar behaviour on another testing machine.
It concerns the partitioner. I let it to format partitions, but
later I can't get it to display properly the contents of the drive.
I prefer doing the manual partitioning, but partitions don't show up.
Weird. It happened twice on two different machines, but not once on
the third one. Do you think it may be related to te same CD problem?

Thanks anyway!
Wiktor Wandachowicz