Re: Status of Debian on Sun Blade 150

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Jurij Smakov wrote:

Thanks to Andres Salomon (dilinger@d.o) we now have an unofficial netinst CD image, which should (hopefully) work on SunBlade. I would appreciate if people would test it. If testing works out, we'll try to propagate the required changes into the first post-release Sarge revision. Note that the kernel on the unofficial image is binary-incompatible with the kernel modules which are currently in the archive. It can be downloaded from

http://www.acm.cs.rpi.edu/~dilinger/iso.img

IMPORTANT: This is an unofficial image created for testing purposes only, so please do *NOT* report any problems with this image to the Debian's BTS or to the debian-installer team.

[cut]

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org

I tested the image and it works as follows:

- The 2.4.27 kernel starts.
- USB keyboard works (oh yes!!!)
- The "usb-mac-us" keymap doesn't work :-(
  This is pretty bad, as d-i propagates this choice to the target
  installation. For d-i, the "usb-mac-uk" is the closest working
  keymap (I think), but the '@' and '#' keys are misplaced.
- I let the parted to format the partitions in order to install
  a base system. It worked very well.
- CD has been correctly detected and mounted.
- Network has been properly configured via DHCP.
- The installer progreses up to the point where it wants to install
  a base system, but it is unable to do so. The error diplayed is:

[!!] Install the base system
Cannot install Debian
The installer cannot figure out how to install Debian. No installable CD-ROM was found and no valid mirror was configured.
<Go Back>  <Continue>

I attach a gzipped archive of whole /var/log directory of the
debian installer (from its ramdisk). On the target machine the
installer created only some less important files.

Best regards,
Wiktor Wandachowicz