Re: Re: migration from sunOS/ultrasparc to linux/ultrasparc

ok thanks for the answer it help me a lot.
What linux (distribution and
kernel) did you use for running your E4000 ? Is there some application li
ke oracle running on it?

Vincent

> De: Martin <inkubus@interalpha
 co.uk>
> A: Vincent 13 <vini13@caramail.com>
> Objet: Re: migration fr
om sunOS/ultrasparc to linux/ultrasparc
> Date: 23 Apr 2005 22:30:40 +01
00

> <pre>On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 14:30, Vincent 13 wrote:
>
> > I'm
searching some informations about a migrating project from
> >  a sunOS/
ultraSPARC to linux/ultraSPARC.    The servers used are v240 and
> >  v4
40 from SUN.

> > 1) Does someone have ever tried to install a lin
ux on
> >  such servers?
> I haven't tried personnally but I see no rea
son why they shouldn't.
> Support for newer Sun hardware can be a littl
e rough around the edges as
> not many developers have them but it shoul
d still work.

> > 2) How well does linux work with multi-processors
SPARC
> > ?
> >   - What are the restrictions ?(number of processor s
upported ? memor
> > y? ) (SMP howto is quite old)
> >   - Are the lim
itations just theoretical
> > or someone have ever tried them ?
> I wa
s working on a 10 way E4000 running Linux yesterday and it JFWs.
> The
default limit is 32 processors, I think some of the NUMA patches may
andle more.  About a year or so ago someone was working on running
> Lin
ux on an E10K.  Not sure anyone's ever tried anything larger.

> Chee
rs,
>  - Martin
>
> --