Re: migration from sunOS/ultrasparc to linux/ultrasparc

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 14:30, Vincent 13 wrote:

> I'm searching some informations about a migrating project from
>  a sunOS/ultraSPARC to linux/ultraSPARC.    The servers used are v240 and
>  v440 from SUN.
>
> 1) Does someone have ever tried to install a linux on
>  such servers?
I haven't tried personnally but I see no reason why they shouldn't.
Support for newer Sun hardware can be a little rough around the edges as
not many developers have them but it should still work.

> 2) How well does linux work with multi-processors SPARC
> ?
>   - What are the restrictions ?(number of processor supported ? memor
> y? ) (SMP howto is quite old)
>   - Are the limitations just theoretical
> or someone have ever tried them ?
I was working on a 10 way E4000 running Linux yesterday and it JFWs.
The default limit is 32 processors, I think some of the NUMA patches may
handle more.  About a year or so ago someone was working on running
Linux on an E10K.  Not sure anyone's ever tried anything larger.

Cheers,
 - Martin

--
Martin