Re: Status of Debian on Sun Blade 150

Jurij Smakov wrote:

> Hi Wiktor,
>
> Thanks to Andres Salomon (dilinger@d.o) we now have an unofficial
> netinst CD image, which should (hopefully) work on SunBlade. I would
> appreciate if people would test it. If testing works out, we'll try to
> propagate the required changes into the first post-release Sarge
> revision. Note that the kernel on the unofficial image is
> binary-incompatible with the kernel modules which are currently in the
> archive. It can be downloaded from
>
> http://www.acm.cs.rpi.edu/~dilinger/iso.img
>
> IMPORTANT: This is an unofficial image created for testing purposes
> only, so please do *NOT* report any problems with this image to the
> Debian's BTS or to the debian-installer team.

Great, I'll try this image soon and share my experience.

> Given that the sparc installation manual has not been updated for
> Sarge :-(, this is not surprising. Perhaps you would like to volunteer
> for updating it? As I understand, it is too late already to get all
> the translations in sync, but having at least the English version
> up-to-date would be an achievement. If you are up to it, you should
> probably discuss the details with Frans Pop.

I don't know if I am good enough to actually update the whole docs. Of
course, I can try to propose an update of how to run RARP and TFTP
servers under Debian and Solaris 9 (which I have access to). IIRC this
was the way we attempted (with success!) to install Debian woody on
Blade 150 by the very first time. I hope that if Frans has some time,
maybe he can guide me a little. I can always provide a pure text for
someone to import it into more useful format.

> It is a very useful and detailed write-up, a job well done. I have
> created a wiki page SparcInstallation notes
> (wiki.debian.net/?SparcInstallationNotes)
> and included a link to your installation report there.

Why, thanks! And what is that bunch of links hg-fix(dot)com and
hgfix(dot)org doing on the page you mention? Looks like an ad or
something...

Friendly,
Wiktor Wandachowicz