Re: can't boot

Jurij Smakov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 tanguy.brasseur@plasticseurope.org wrote:
>
> > I need to edit the silo.conf file located to my boot partition ...
> >
> > With the rescue disk, I manage to start a shell, there, I have tried
> > several times to mount the boot partition to be able to edit the silo.conf
> > file, but without any success.
> >
> > My boot partition is at /dev/sda1, I tried the command
> >
> > mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt
> >
> > the command proceed successfully, but when I go to the /mnt directory to
> > find the silo.conf file, when I type the command ls I see nothing ... this
> > is blank
> >
> > How can I edit this files located in the directory /boot on the disk
> > /dev/sda1 ?
>
> Hm, this sure looks strange. Once you have mounted the partition, try
> issuing the 'mount' command to make sure it is really mounted. Does df
> report sensible values for the size and the amount of free space on this
> mounted partition?
>
> If the partition is really mounted, and it is really your /boot partition,
> then my guess would be that something has gone bad and nothing was
> actually installed into /boot. Note that the /etc/silo.conf file is
> most likely located on the / (root) partition, which may be /dev/sda2 or
> something else in your case. You can see the list of available partitions
> from the rescue disk by using parted or fdisk.
>
> Best regards,

I don't know if this helps, but I had a similar problem. Perhaps your device is
buried deep down in a path like this, as it was in my case:

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc/part1

You could just give it a try, but change the "bus", "target", "lun" numbers
according to your layout.

Cheers
Friedhelm