Re: can't boot

Hi,

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 tanguy.brasseur@plasticseurope.org wrote:

I need to edit the silo.conf file located to my boot partition ...

With the rescue disk, I manage to start a shell, there, I have tried
several times to mount the boot partition to be able to edit the silo.conf
file, but without any success.

My boot partition is at /dev/sda1, I tried the command

mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt

the command proceed successfully, but when I go to the /mnt directory to
find the silo.conf file, when I type the command ls I see nothing ... this
is blank

How can I edit this files located in the directory /boot on the disk
/dev/sda1 ?

Hm, this sure looks strange. Once you have mounted the partition, try issuing the 'mount' command to make sure it is really mounted. Does df report sensible values for the size and the amount of free space on this mounted partition?

If the partition is really mounted, and it is really your /boot partition, then my guess would be that something has gone bad and nothing was actually installed into /boot. Note that the /etc/silo.conf file is most likely located on the / (root) partition, which may be /dev/sda2 or something else in your case. You can see the list of available partitions from the rescue disk by using parted or fdisk.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org