Re: Net install of woody fails on SparcStation IPX (sun4c)

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Ben Stanley wrote:

When I turn on the sparcstation, I am at first confronted by invalid
nvram contents. This is fixed using techniques outlined by [5]. (BTW,
I'm interested in a place to get a new clock chip cheap in .au. I've
been quoted the order of AU$60.) Then I do a
ok boot net
SPARCstation IPX, Type 4 Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.4, 48 MB memory installed, Serial #847320.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:c:ed:d8, Host ID: 570cedd8.
Rebooting with command: net
Boot device: /sbus/le@0,c00000   File and args:
307c00                          <-- packet counter - takes a few minutes
Booting Linux...

and at that point the machine stops. No friendly penguin icon. No kernel
boot messages. I am not able to reset the machine using shift-stop-a. I
am forced to power cycle.

Right, I recall someone else reporting that sun4c appears just to hang when netbooted using woody installation images. Unfortunately, I don't have any sun4c hardware and no clue on why it happens. I would say that the best option for you is to get/borrow an external SCSI CD-ROM drive.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org