Re: Proposal to document sparc installation issues

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 14:07, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 March 2005 21:19, Frans Pop wrote:
> > for example SunBlade systems. These are incorrectly "recognized" by
> > the installer as regular Sun keyboards. A workaround is documented in
> > the Installation Guide (see link above, chapter "Using the Debian
> > Installer").</p>
>
> Does this happen with 2.6 or 2.4 or both ?

Only with 2.4; for 2.6 kernels all keyboards are configured with "PC"
keymaps.

> > series use a different input layer that makes all keyboards look like
> > "normal" PC keyboards. This means that if you boot the installer with
> > a 2.4 kernel and configure it for a Sun or USB keyboard and later (in
> > expert mode) select a 2.6 kernel for the new system, you will very
> > likely end up with a non-working keyboard after reboot.</p>
>
> Can this be workaround by "dpkg-reconfigure console-data" before the
> reboot ?

Unfortunately not, as setting up the keyboard is one of the very last
things to be done before the reboot.
The best option here is to just select the same kernel version as the
installer was booted with (as happens automatically during a default
install).

I will try to make this a bit clearer in my texts, but I don't want to
make the texts too long.