Re: Cannot boot 2.6.8 kernel from ext3 root partition on Ultra5

Joshua Kwan wrote:
> > NET: Registered protocol family 1
> > NET: Registered protocol family 17
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> >  <0>Press L1-A to return to the boot prom
>
> Could you paste the log _up to_ the "VFS: Cannot open..." message?
>
> You use an Ultra 5, so your initrd should be loading the 'cmd64x' module
> for the stock kernel, and it should work. Or do you use a different setup?
>
> Thanks

Is there a way I can copy/paste these messages?  I used a good old fashioned
pen and paper to write down the last six lines.  I really would like to avoid
using this method for the whole boot sequence, which is about 50 lines.

Again, I have to press [Stop]-A and do reset-all, or use the hard power switch
on the back of the CPU.  Can I still get "dmesg"-like output from failed boot
attempts after "flipping the switch"?  If so, how?

If not, are there any key lines in the boot sequence that I should zero in on?
I suppose if I really start to pull my hair out I could conceivably use pen
and paper on 50 lines, but that would take me about an hour...

Thanks

-Dan