Re: buildd failure for sparc - floating point encoding?

Helen Faulkner <helen_ml_faulkner@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> As far as I can tell, there is no debian package that contains the CDF
> library. There are a lot of things that have netCDF, but that is a
> different thing.

Oops, sorry.

For Debian, I think you need three cases for FP format: IEEE BE, IEEE
LE, and (I assume) IBM 360 format for the s390 target.  You can use
autoconf AC_CANONICAL_TARGET to test for s390 (`s390-*-linux-gnu*')
and AC_C_BIGENDIAN to distinguish the IEEE cases.  Otherwise you can
use endian.h and whatever the relevant cpp macro is for s390.
(Generally, you should also worry about VAX format, and possibly
vintage Cray; Convex was subtly different, but I assume it's now
dead.)  See float.h if necessary.

The HDF source was a useful place to look for details of such things
~10 years ago.  If the CDF code is doing the same thing, you might be
able to copy that directly.