Re: buildd failure for sparc - floating point encoding?

<snip>
> /*****************************************************************************
> * Floating-point encodings.
> *   1..........Sun, SGi, IBM-RS, HP, NeXT, Macintosh
> *   2..........DECstation, IBM-PC, Alpha (OSF/1), Alpha (OpenVMS - IEEE_FLOAT)
> *   3..........VAX, Alpha (OpenVMS - D_FLOAT)
> *   4..........Alpha (OpenVMS - G_FLOAT)
> *****************************************************************************/
>
> #if
> defined(sun)||defined(MIPSEB)||defined(IBMRS)||defined(HP)||defined(NeXT)||defined(mac)||defined(POWERPC)
> #  define FP1cpu
> #endif
<snip>
> Does anyone know whether sparc uses the same encoding as one of these examples?
Given that most of the machines sold by Sun are based on SPARC chips and
most of the SPARC chips sold are sold by Sun I would guess the 'sun'
setting is what you are after.

Full specs on the SPARC chips support for floating point can be found on
the standards body website http://www.sparc.org/  In short (IIRC) most
modern SPARC processors implement 32 and 64 bit IEEE floating point
operations.  This is the same as some MIPS processors (I suspect the SGi
setting), most PowerPCs (IBM-RS, Mac) and a host of other architectures.

x86 chips (and IIRC the Alpha) support 80 bit IEEE operations, which is
(I guess) why the have their own category.  Althought the later example
code doesn't seem to use this so it may be an encoding issue.

If I was responsible for this code up stream I'd go for clarifying each
of these categories down to exactly what standard each one is rather
than what machines implement them.  But then again I'm pedantic like
that.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin