Serial Port problem on Ultra 2....

I had a disasterous attempt at updating my SUN Ultra 2 to Sarge and thought I
would attempt a clean install of  3.0 which was running nicely on my system
up until a few days ago. I installed the os(3.0)  with little problem - only
now I cannot access the serial ports. If I run setserial it shows me that the
uart is unknown, port is 0x f1100004, IRQ 7040000
if I attempt an autoconfig (in root) I get the error "Cannot set serial
information : Invalid argument" . As a matter of fact ANY attempt to modify
the ports is greeted by a similar error.  Could someone point me as to where
to look next for the source of my problem - and how to fix this

thanx everyone !

mark