Re: nelp needed

Am Mo, den 20.09.2004 schrieb mark acierno um 4:51:
> Ok as you will all quickly figure out - i'm new to this!
>
> For starters I have a sun ultra 2 running debian 3r2.
>
> I started out wanting to install shapelib since Xastir ( a ham radio program)
> uses this library. So I downloaded
downloaded? did you use apt-get or just a webbrowser?
have you got the right version vor debian 3r2.
because there is NO shapelib for debian 3r2 on debian.org website.
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=shapelib&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all

> it and then tried to install it. But time
> after time I ran into compatibility / update issues.  (Lib6, had a problem
> with libshpl which needed an update of another file  ect. ect) I I went to
> the Debian web page and saw that there was an update cd. So I downloaded it,
> burned a cd-rom and installed it on my Ultra 2. I ran apt-cdrom and put in
> the update disk. I ran dselect and went through the steps updating certain
> software (non of which see to be helpful in running shapelib). The problem is
> now that the package manager in genome will not not launch! it looks like it
> will start up but then with out so much as an error message - it quits!
>
> so I have 3 issues..... this shapelib needs updates of a bunch of files -
> isn't there a way to have the package manager ( or dselect) figure out the
> dependancies needed and update what is required for shapelib  - or any other
> package.  Then, what has happened to the package manager... I killed it but
> i'm not sure how! - is it possible that the database it uses has been
> corrupted (just  a guess).  Lastly, It seems like there are updates to
> software - or so the package manager told me shapelib needed them before it
> died - but they aren't on the update disk! should I be updating in a
> different manner?
>
> can any one help me out with any of these issues ???

on a console run the following:

apt-get -f install

if then any erros occur. write them here.

if everything went fine then do after ready an

apt-get install xastir :)))

regards
daniel