nelp needed

Ok as you will all quickly figure out - i'm new to this!

For starters I have a sun ultra 2 running debian 3r2.

I started out wanting to install shapelib since Xastir ( a ham radio program)
uses this library. So I downloaded it and then tried to install it. But time
after time I ran into compatibility / update issues.  (Lib6, had a problem
with libshpl which needed an update of another file  ect. ect) I I went to
the Debian web page and saw that there was an update cd. So I downloaded it,
burned a cd-rom and installed it on my Ultra 2. I ran apt-cdrom and put in
the update disk. I ran dselect and went through the steps updating certain
software (non of which see to be helpful in running shapelib). The problem is
now that the package manager in genome will not not launch! it looks like it
will start up but then with out so much as an error message - it quits!

so I have 3 issues..... this shapelib needs updates of a bunch of files -
isn't there a way to have the package manager ( or dselect) figure out the
dependancies needed and update what is required for shapelib  - or any other
package.  Then, what has happened to the package manager... I killed it but
i'm not sure how! - is it possible that the database it uses has been
corrupted (just  a guess).  Lastly, It seems like there are updates to
software - or so the package manager told me shapelib needed them before it
died - but they aren't on the update disk! should I be updating in a
different manner?

can any one help me out with any of these issues ???

thanx

mark