Re: Kernel 2.6.8 - SILO/initrd problems

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:26:13 -0700
Joshua Kwan <joshk@triplehelix.org> wrote:

> With our upcoming release in mind it may be a better idea to fix the
> kernel instead of hacking around it in userspace...

Why is the kernel in need of "fixing"?

In particular, given the fact that from a distribution maker's
perspective, the 2.6.x behavior (generating _ONLY_ x86 key codes
to userspace regardless of architecture or keyboard type) is
a boon for simplification for keyboard configuration.  No more
Sun/ARM/PPC/etc. specific crap needed anymore.

In fact I find it quite puzzling that, given the above, you want
to revert back to the 2.4.x days of complicated keyboard
configuration.