Re: XFree crashing on kernel 2.4.28

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:52:48AM -0800, foo_bar_baz_boo-deb@yahoo.com wrote:
> A couple of issues come to mind looking at the transcript of our bug
> #280384:
>
> 1) Why couldn't Peter De Schrijver experience this problem for himself
> on the Debian 2.6.8.1 kernel?
>
> 2) Why does Admar Schoonen's work-around (using the debug server)
> function properly? I think it's supremely ironic that the debug build
> doesn't have the bug. LOL.

Well, I have to admit that this bug does occur on my Sun Blade 100 (with 2
almost identical ati mach 64 cards), but not on my Sun Ultra 5 (with only 1 ati
mach 64 card that is slightly different than the one in the blade 100).

The bug also doesn't occur on a Sun Ultra 5 at my friend's place, but iirc, it
does occur on an Ultra 5 or Ultra 10 from someone else, so I'm a bit sceptical
to say that U5's are not affected.

The fact that the debug server doesn't show the bug could indicate that it's a
timing issue, but to be honest, I am a terrible programmer and I wouldn't know
how to start debugging this issue.

I hope this could be useful for someone, and if he/she needs more
information/testing, I'd happy volunteer.

Admar