Re: Sparc Storage Array 101 Problems Partioning

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 08:51:29PM -0800, Jason Parvu wrote:
> I have a Sparc Storage array 101 with 6 drives installed connected to a
> Sparcstation 5 running Woody 3.0R2.  I have got as far as loading the kernel
> module and the box sees the array and installed drives but run I attempt to
> run fdisk to partition the drives it returns "Unable to open /dev/sd*" when
> I attempt it on any of the drives.  I ruled out hardware because I can
> access the drive fine from Solaris.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what I
> am doing wrong?  Below is the boot messages and my attempts to partition the
> disks
>
>                                                             -Jason
<Big Snip>

> sparc5:~# fdisk /dev/sdj
> Unable to open /dev/sdj

Jason,

By default, Linux doesn't create devices for all the possible scsi disks, I
think it creates them up to /dev/sdh.

Check to see if the devices exist (ls -l /dev/sd*), and if they don't, make
them by running

cd /dev (cd to /dev first, or it will make devices in the current directory)
./MAKEDEV sdi sdj sdk sdl ...

Regards,

Richard

--
I don't think [being chief software architect of Windows] is something to be
particularly proud of.  - Linus Torvalds