Re: Ultra2 Booting problem

Walt L. Williams schrieb am Freitag, 26. November 2004 um 09:38:27 -0700:
> On Friday November 26 2004 6:34 am, Carlos Emir M. Macedo wrote:
> >         Walt,
> >
> >         I had the same problem a few days ago. There are erros at your
> > silo.conf.
>
> Small problem; I am not getting a silo prompt. The prompt I get is: "{0} ok".
> I believe the silo prompt will say "boot". I did the "boot 2/boot/vmlinuz" you
> indicated below.  I also tried variations of it, ie:  boot 1/boot/vmlinuz. No
> help! The lines below is what I got each time. (The first line is what I
> entered at the prompt.)
>
> {0} ok boot 2/boot/vmlinuz
> Boot device: /sbus/SUNW, fas@e,8800000/sd@3,0 File and args: boot 2/boot/
> vmlinuz
> The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.
> {0} ok

it seems that silo is not or not correctly installed into the bootblock
of your boot-device.

your boot device seems to be /sbus/SUNW, fas@e,8800000/sd@3,0
verify by
{0} ok printenv boot-device
and maybe
{0} ok devalias <first alias from the command above>

you could try to boot the rescue system from cd and pass the right
root-device to the kernel.

ie:
{0} ok boot cdrom

and at silo prompt:

boot: rescue root=/dev/sd...

then your system should boot.

fix /etc/silo.conf and rerun silo

> Is there any other possibilities??

What disks are in the machine?
Whats your partition layout?
whats your silo.conf?

--
Jörg Friedrich

There are only 10 types of people:
Those who understand binary and those who don't.