Re: which xserver to use on Ultra2 ?

Hartwig Atrops wrote:
On Monday 22 November 2004 20:23, Mehul N. Sanghvi wrote:

'allo,

Hello, too.

    I've got an Ultra2 Creator, and am unable to get the X Server
started.  What is the X Server I should be using on such a machine ?
I currently have fbdev selected as that was the default selection
when I installed xserver-xfree86 package.  I have also tried
some of the Sun video stuff like suncg14, etc.  They all give the
same "No devices detected." error, while the fbdev driver just fails
because it can't start up and find some symbols that it needs.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

I am running Debian Woody on my Ultra2 Creator, X works fine. I use the sunffb driver. And I had to remove a "Load" statement from the modules section - dri as far as I remember.

Hope that helps.

   Hartwig

 Hartwig,

       I have done as was suggested and am using the sunffb driver.  I
still get the "No devices detected" error message.  Would you be able
to email a copy of your XF86Config-4 file ?

        I was able to get suncg6 to work, but that will only work
in 8-bit depth.  Is there a way to tell how much memory is available
for video on a Sun system ?

cheers,

      mehul