Re: Whats the trick?

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 09:15, Walt L. Williams wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> I have been trying to load Sarge onto an Ultra 2.
> I have tried several things in an effort to load so
> it will boot.
>
> I seems to load ok after I do the modprobe work
> around. But when the system goes to re-boot
> it comes up and starts to run silo and promptly
> terminates "Program terminated"
>
> In the partitioning I have set the boot flag to on,
> then left it off. That didn't make any difference.
> I pulled the second CPU thinking there was
> something wrong with the SMP kernel. This
> also didn't make any difference. I've even selected
> the ext2 in the partitioning. That also didn't
> make any difference.

Is the partition containing your boot kernel and silo.conf under 2
gigabytes in size and first in the partition table?

My partition layout on a 9G drive is a ~50M /boot ext2 first, 256M swap,
and / covering most of the rest of the drive.  There's a "whole disk"
Sun label as partition 3.

> Any thoughts?
>
> My system is an Ultra 2 with 256MB of ram
> and dual 200MHZ processors. It has a 9GB
> and an 18GB hard drive it it. I am hoping to
> make a web server out of it. It was loaded
> with Debain 3.0r0 .

My U2 acquired in October has dual 296 MHz, one 9G HD, 384M RAM, Creator
3D graphics.  I used the Sarge businesscard ISO from around October 21.
Aside from the missing esp module, the install went perfectly and the
machine has been in daily use as my primary office workstation for a
month.

This was the easiest and most robust Sparc Linux install I've done out
of eleven.

-- SP