> >any hint on how to fix it?
>
> >From the error messages, it appears the package contians assembler
> code that only works on sparc64, and the default for compiling for
> debian sparc is sparc32.

 Isn't exactly what the bug means.  The default for debian sparc is
v8plus not v9.  However, v9 can be run in 32 bit mode so the program
brutefir probably will compile on Debian if -march=ultrasparc is
in the CFLAGS.

> Either disabled the assembler version, or modify your package to force
> sparc64 complilation.  (or you could do both sparc32 and sparc64
> versions)

 I looked at the makefile.  Probably the best fix is to move -Wa,-xarch=v8plus
out of ifeq (,SUNOS) and into the main body of the makefile.