Re: Gnome 2.6 with 2.6 kernel problem

> --- debian-sparc@perkamentus.com wrote:
> After updating the 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel, Gnome won't start
> anymore. I'm running Sarge on an Ultra10. GDM is working and I can
> type my username/password. Then the process gnome-settings-daemon is
> taking up 100% of CPU but nothing is happening.

Sadly, this is a problem with which I cannot help you. I use KDE
instead of GNOME. My suggestion to you would be to eliminate some
variables from the problem by temporarily trying a different desktop
environment, such as XFCE (since it's a nice, small download). I think
what you will find is that something in GNOME is broken at the moment.

It would also be wise to consult packages.debian.org to find out which
package contains gnome-settings-daemon, and then to report a bug
against this package; it seems pretty clear to me that the package
can't possibly be functioning as advertised.

Best of luck to you in your attempts to resolve this.

P.S.: I hate to recommend this, but I have had much better luck with
Sid than Sarge; however, since you are new to SPARC, I am hesitant to
recommend this as anything other than a last resort.