Gnome 2.6 with 2.6 kernel problem

After updating the 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel, Gnome won't start
anymore. I'm running Sarge on an Ultra10. GDM is working and I can
type my username/password. Then the process gnome-settings-daemon is
taking up 100% of CPU but nothing is happening.

I've found that this could be caused by an old session and it is
suggested to empty /tmp and ~/.gconfd, after which Gnome should run as
before. This did not work for me.

I'm stuck here, as I can't tell if this is due to updating from kernel
2.4 to 2.6 or that this is a completely different problem caused by
something else. Off course it could be a gnome problem, but I thought
I'll start here (I don't know if gnome as sparc specific problems).

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.

Erik