Re: Graphics Card Processing?

On 24 Aug 2004 18:36:33 +0100
Martin <inkubus@interalpha.co.uk> wrote:

> > This machine is just going to be
> > used for web/mysql/e-mail, so I don't have any use for the graphics
> > card installed. For that matter, I plan on avoiding installing
> > Xwindows, for security reasons.
>
> For web/mysql/e-mail you are probably going to need high throughput
> and good disk access / I/O rather than floating point performance.
> Even if you could use a graphics card like this (and TBH I doubt the
> Ultra 3D can be used in this way) then you wouldn't really help as the
> work load isn't FP intensive.

Yea, I thought it kinda sounded like a hairbrained idea, but thought I
would ask to see what the experts thought.

It's still fun to play with the Sun even over a serial console, just
doing it's basic web/e-mail/mysql stuff. :-)

Thanks,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #54:
If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait, he
does.