Recent dist-upgrade (in testing) broke /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh or /etc/fstab

I did a dist-upgrade in testing a few days ago, and it broke the way
that /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh remounts root.

What happened was that first of all it couldn't remount root ro, so
fsck failed; then it couldn't remount root rw, so / (being read-only)
broke everything else.

I "fixed" this by hand-hacking the relevant statements in checkroot.sh:

        #if ! mount -n -o remount,ro $rootdev /
        if ! mount -n -o remount,ro /

and later in the same script:

#mount -n -o remount,$rootopts,$rootmode $fstabroot /
mount -n -o remount,rw /

Does anyone know why this is happening?  Best guess is that my
/etc/fstab is broken in some way.  Current contents are:

#
/dev/hda4       /               ext3    errors=remount-ro       0       1
/dev/hda2       none            swap    sw                      0       0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
/dev/fd0        /floppy         auto    user,noauto             0       0
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0
/dev/hda1       /boot           ext3    defaults                0       2
/dev/hda5       /home           ext3    defaults                0       2
none            /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   defaults                0       0

I have not changed this file to my knowledge.

Rich.

MAKE+ is a sane replacement for GNU autoconf/automake. One script compiles,
RPMs, pkgs etc. Linux, BSD, Solaris. http://www.annexia.org/freeware/makeplus/