Re: sarge upgrade -> root mounts readonly

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:33:21 -0400 (EDT)
Andy Tolonen <tolonen@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> I have been running woody (kernel 2.4.24) happily for 6 months on my ultra
> 10.  this week, i decided to upgrade to "testing" by changing my
> sources.list and running "apt-get dist-upgrade".
> everything appeared to work fine.  a few days later, i rebooted and only
> the root fs mounted read-only.  i didnt modify /etc/fstab or anything.
> so why might this happen?

It's a bug in the kernel that one of the startup scripts is
exposing.  Upgrade to a more recent kernel and it will fix
itself.

It was a bug in sys_mount() syscall translations for 32-bit
binaries running on 64-bit kernel.