Re: Testing Beta 4 on Sparc Ultra 10

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 15:25, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Christian Perrier wrote:
>
> > Could you try the tc1 version ?
> >
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/sparc/tc1/sarge-sparc-netinst.iso
> It was absolutely the same behaviour as I described in my posting at
>
>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/06/msg00092.html
>
> That's why I hope to get some further help from debian-sprac (sorry for
> the cross-posting).  Is there anything I should do after removing a broken
> 10GB IDE disk and inserting a new factored 40GB disk?  I can not exclude
> any hardware problems and so may be debian-boot is not the best list.

Just a couple of days ago I installed Debian on a new 40 GB disk on my
Ultra 5, which has the same motherboard as the Ultra 10. I had big
troubles to get both the cdrom and the disk recognised, but eventually
got around it by using one HD flatcable with 2 connectors to connect the
HD and cdrom to the motherboard, and putting that in the motherboard
connector where the cdrom was originally connected. Using 2 seperate
cables for the HD and the cdrom in the 2 motherboard connectors didn't
work for me.
Still I couldn't boot from CD but I was able to do a succesful netboot
with the Woody image (Sarge image gave fast data access exeption), so I
could install to HD and boot from it. Then upgraded to testing and got
the cdrom recognised at boot by adding
append="hdb=ide-scsi max_scsi_luns=1"
at the end of /etc/silo.conf, and putting sg and ide-scsi in
/etc/modules so that they are loaded at boottime.
Hope this is of any help, basically I would suggest to try out different
connector combinations, and look at the jumper settings for master/slave
at the HD, do a netboot and look at the output of dmesg for detected
devices. Good luck.

What is this tcl version btw?