Re: kernel woes

Schaefer, Robert (PS) wrote:

A couple of things jump out to me, and a suggestion.

First, you're mounting /dev/hda1 as your root partition, which if true,
you're then saying your kernel images are in the root directory.  (They're
usually found in /boot)  If, on the other hand, you're using a smaller
partition to boot from in /dev/hda1, then your root partition is incorrect,
but your image locations are correct.

One thing you can do to check this is to type the following command at the
silo prompt:

ls /

This will show you what's at the root of the current partition.  You can
also do an ls on /boot as well to see if your image files are there.  If
they're in /boot rather than /, you can boot into them as well.  I think the
command is to simply type the path and name of the image you want to boot
with, followed by any options.  For example:

/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25.042904

Would boot the first image if its in /boot rather than /.  Double check the
silo man pages for the correct format, I'm not sure if its completely
correct.

Other than that, at this point I don't know.

OK, so progress has been made. I needed to add the /boot/ part to the line, and discovered I had a typo in the 2.4.25 kernel line to top if off. Thanks for the responses that led to the fix!

But......when booting into 2.4.25, I am still unable to access anything outbound. Inbound connections are fine, and when I boot back to the stock 2.4.18 kernel, all is good. Any idea what this could be?