Re: kernel woes

> partition=1
> root=/dev/hda1
> image=/vmlinuz-2.4.25.042904
> label=linux
>
> image=/vmlinuz-2.4.18-sun4u
> label=linuxOLD
>
> (OK, this is one long-ass email.  Time to wrap up!)
> So my questions are thus:
>
> How can I tell silo to boot either of my existing kernels?  And what
have
> I done wrong in any of these cases??

You will probably have to make a symbolic link to the kernel images.
Originally the kernel is installed in /boot and a symlink named vmlinuz
points to that kernel.
In my case I have 2 symlinks in my / partition, @vmlinuz and
@vmlinuz.old, the former pointing to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-sparc32 and
the latter to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23.

My silo.conf says
partition=1
root=/dev/sda1
image=1/vmlinuz
label=linux

A nice way to edit your symlinks or look at them is with the help of
Midnight Commander, a 2 pane filemanager that works in the console.
Apt-get install mc, and then run it with mc. it has an option to edit
symlinks. The best way to edit your silo.conf is probably to have
image=/vmlinuz pointing to the symlink in /, which points to the
kernelimage you want to use in /boot.