Re: Slightly OT: SCSI on SPARCServer 630MP

On Wednesday 07 Apr 2004 21:39, Craig Ian Dewick wrote:

> I have had a similar issue trying to get Gentoo Linux working on an
> SS600MP-based system here. I can actually boot off CD but then when I got
> to start installing the OS proper the CD devices do not appear in the
> device trees even though the SCSI hard disk shows up.  Not sure if it's
> Debian related though as I haven't tried Debian on an SS600MP-based system
> up to now.

I'll try that if/when I get to the installation stage and see if I have the
same problem.

> In regard to your problem, is your SCSI cabling properly-terminated? Also,
> I think the SS600MP's have a replacable fuse on the system board for SCSI
> termination power, so check that hasn't blown. It'll most probably be a
> 1.25 amp 'littlefuse' if I remember correctly. All the older Sparc systems
> and the 68020/68030 sun3/3x machines had replacable SCSI termination power
> fuses too.

Is that the fuse on the main board near the SCSI connector? If so, this has
not blown...

I've tried setting and not setting termination on the drive but this doesn't
make any difference. It's also not listing any devices when I do probe-sbus -
could this be related?

Thanks for your help so far.

--
David Johnson