RE: Ultra 5 install problem

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin [mailto:inkubus@interalpha.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2004 9:04 AM
To: kurt@verruckt.org
Cc: Debian Sparc
Subject: Re: Ultra 5 install problem

<snip>
> Now before you go bashing on my cd burning ability, this disk will
> boot fine in my other sparcs. So will all of the other cds I have
> burned. I have purchased new memory for it, I have done a thorough
> wiping of the drive in another machine, I have even put back the oem
> sun cdrom and 8gb hdd, and have the exact same results. I 'am' able to
> install Solaris 9 with NO PROBLEMS, and it runs great.
I've been told some older Sun boxen will only boot from particular brands of
CD - that might explain this although AFAIK they stopped doing that way
before the Ultra series.  Perhaps try again with the OEM cdrom and the new
hdd.

> But, I want debian on here. This machine previously had debian
> installed, and ran great. At that time, it had the 8gb hdd, and 2
> smaller scsi drives. I am willing to try anything you all might
> suggest. I really don’t want to trash this machine, as it performs so
well.
> Thanks for any replies.
Have you tried a net install?  If you have another Sun boxen (or access to
one) you could install onto the hard disk and then switch boxes.
IIRC there is also a way of installing from an existing UNIX - you could use
Solaris 9 to install onto the larger disk and then boot from it.

HTH

Sweet Dreams,
 - Martin

--
Martin
inkubus@interalpha.co.uk

Martin,

Thanks for the response. I had heard about the install from the existing
Solaris partition. I was just trying too hard to fix the problem, and not
just go around it. Though if this problem continues, I may just do that. The
debian version that im currently trying to install is:
http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sarge_d-i/sparc/beta3/sarge-sparc-ne
tinst.iso
I am thoroughly stumped at this point. It seems as though there is a problem
no linux expert, but wouldn't it seem as though it is having problems
problem as with the old memory.

Kurt

---