RE: noob with a few questions

Agreed - I definitely prefer the way it's done in Debian.  I think it makes
sense to put some daemons in inittab, like licensing daemons or things that
provide crucial services, but I don't think X-Display Managers (xdm, gdm,
etc...) fall into this category.  I guess I also like how some UNIX/Linux
distros let you reboot with run-level 5, but I can see why some dislike it
too.

<> Jim