Re: procps doesn't buildd - /lib versus /lib64

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 23:38, Ben Collins wrote:

> Yes, we could do something lame like /usr/sparc64-linux/lib,
> but then we can't get the same affect of /lib64 for systems
> where /usr is not on the root partition, and it excludes
> using 64-bit for some situations. Not only that, but usually
> /usr/<target_host>/* is reserved for cross-compilation setups,
> which this is not. It's a native runtime.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
If I set up an i386 box with a SCO Xenix ABI
module and gcc set to produce Xenix binaries
by default, that still doesn't make it native.

Does it????

There's nothing lame about /usr/sparc64-linux/lib if
you use it to run 64-bit apps on an essentially 32-bit
kernel. (an ILP32 kernel that saves wide registers but
refuses to create memory mappings above 4 GB) In this
case, putting 32-bit libraries in /lib would be fine.

You use /usr/sparc-linux/lib or /usr/sparc32-linux/lib
when going the other way.

Probably every ABI should have a special place under
/usr that gets searched first, and should search /lib
last. Then anything dumped in /lib will get found and
the other locations are only needed for conflicts.