Re: procps doesn't buildd - /lib versus /lib64

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:35:21PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
> > Since they introduced 64-bit userland support, from the beginning.
>
> 7, 8, and 9 have /usr/lib/64, which is a symlink to /usr/lib/sparcv9.
> There is no /usr/lib64.  /lib is a symlink to /usr/lib, and there is no
> /lib64.  Perhaps this is different in 10.

Ok, so it's a subdirectory. Generally the subdirs like that (e.g.
/lib/i686/mmx, /lib/v9/) with gcc/glibc are reserved for optimized
libraries of the same ABI.

Solaris makes the mistake of making the difference between v9 and 64-bit
a pretty thin line (or so it seems from what people are explaining
here). I think we are doing the right thing by making 64-bit not seem
like some optimization. It's totally different. It's an overlay.

Yes, we could do something lame like /usr/sparc64-linux/lib, but then we
can't get the same affect of /lib64 for systems where /usr is not on the
root partition, and it excludes using 64-bit for some situations. Not
only that, but usually /usr/<target_host>/* is reserved for
cross-compilation setups, which this is not. It's a native runtime.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/