Re: procps doesn't buildd - /lib versus /lib64

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 00:16, David S. Miller wrote:
> Ben, don't waste your breath with Albert.
>
> Based upon my previous experiences with him, he has access to drugs
> even Hunter S. Thompson hasn't experimented with.

Be unprofessional if you wish. I've tried to stick
to the technical defect: you've forced developers
to add special Makefile hacks to support you.

There is a 90% fix that won't touch the ABI at all:

1. make -m64 the default, as x86-64 does
2. have the install program detect ELF32 or ELF64

Then when a library author specifies /lib, the
install tool converts that to /lib64 or whatever.
Allow a --exact-path if you wish. The package tools
may need the same changes, for handling packages
that aren't created with the install program.

Then the warts are restricted to a few installers
and the toolchain.