2.6.3 kernel will not boot - cannot mount root dev

I finally got a 2.6.3 kernel to compile.  When I boot the machine, it
fails to mount the root device - leaving the message 'VFS: Unable to
mount ...'
The confusing part is that when the 2.4.18 kernel boots, it
successfully mounts this same disk.  The 2.6.3 kernel seems to
reference the proper disk - /dev/hda1 in this case.

My silo.conf file looks like this:
-----------------------------
partition=1
root=/dev/hda1
timeout=100
read-only
default=linux

image=/vmlinuz.old
label=linux
read-only

image=/vmlinux-2.6.2
label=2.6.2
read-only

image=/vmlinux-2.6.3
label=Monday
read-only

silo picks up any changes automatically, and the image in the above
file named "linux" boots.  /dev/hda1 gets mounted during that boot
sequence.  I just do not understand why I cannot get the root disk to
mount with the new kernels.