strange mouse

Came in to work this morning and my system was sitting at the gdm login
prompt (figure there was a power cycle or something) tried to log in and
nothing came up.  <ctrl><alt><f1> and tried to log into a console, entered
root and password got motd but no shell????? Tried on f2 same thing then the
whole thing locked up.

Hard power, and reboot.  Now my mouse doesn't work.  Exact same config as I
had before.  I suppose it could be the mouse I will see If I can find
another but this is weird.

/dev/mouse -> /dev/psaux #worked before reboot

didn't work for a while now while writing this email and checking the
XF86Config file I did a quick gdm restart and it now works

go figure ???

-Bill Warner