Re: Strange ucd-snmp actions

On Jan 5, 2004, at 10:22, Igal Baevsky wrote:

To all the people wondering about MRTG funkiness - it's not an MRTG problem !
I'm using Ultra 10 with Debian installed as a router.
I've found out that the MIB counter on eth0 stops growing when getting to the specific value (IF-MIB::ifInOctets.2 = Counter32: 4294967295). Thats why you keep seeing zeros on your graphs - no delta between the previous value and the current. I'm seeking for a solution for this problem.
Igal.

The reason for this is that smnpd uses scanf to pars /proc/net/dev but the values in that file is 64bit for a 64bit kernel and we get problems with 32bit binaries.

I'm currently trying to recompile snmpd into a 64 bit binary but I need to recompile all the libraries that it uses to 64 bit versions also and openssl was not happy.

Also to make things even funnier the snmp value is actually a 32 bit counter and I'm not sure what will happen exactly even if I get it to compile into 64 bit.

One other solution would be to change scanf to behave better when feed to large values. I have seen this problem in other applications that read /proc/net/dev like procmeter.

Philippe Sainte-Marie wrote:
  Hi.
  I'm using testing on a Ultra5 which is now my gateway at home.
  I'm trying to graph my output/input bw with mrtg but i have like
  a bug with mrtg.
It does work fine, until a day where it simply stuck and doesn't graph
  anything in input or anything in output.
  I've tried all kind of settings without success.
  On my provider side, i'm using DHCP to connect to the internet.
  Would that have any influence over the snmp request for data
  input/output ?
  Any help would be great!