Re: Ultra 5 SSH/Ethernet Lockup

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:14:49AM +0100, Francis Devereux wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:33:11 -0400
> Tom Vier <tmv@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 06:50:24AM +0100, Francis Devereux wrote:
> > > ssh needs a source of randomness to operate (/dev/random), which in
> > > turn needs a pool of entropy which is fed from things like the
> > > keyboard interrupt.  Your lockups could be caused by sshd stalling
> > > because the entropy pool is empty - can you try the following:
> >
> > are you sure it uses /dev/random? except for key generation, it should
> > use/dev/urandom.
>
> No, I'm not sure.  If it is using /dev/urandom then the lockups can't
> be being caused by the entropy pool becoming empty, because /dev/urandom
> won't block in this case like /dev/random would, right?

Look, I have a U5 with nothing running except ssh so I can login and do
kernel builds. It has never locked up like this.

Since the only difference between your U5 and mine is that your physical
hardware is not mine (meaning maybe you have memory errors, or cpu/fpu
is too hot and is producing problems) and you are behind a firewire, I'd
go with one of those problems.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/