Ultra 5 SSH/Ethernet Lockup

I have Woody installed on an Ultra 5. Frequently SSH sessions to this
machine seem to "lockup". Specifically, I have observed the following:

SSH connections to the U5 box using SSH Protocol 2 almost always fail
before the key exchange can complete.

With SSH Protocol 1 I can login and work for a few minutes, but the
connection still freezes after a little while.

Using a 3Com NIC rather than the built-in NIC, the problem does not go
away.

I tried to connect to my network using a different network jack, but
the problem persisted.

Although one SSH session may freeze, I can successfully open new SSH
sessions (ie. without having to reboot.)

As best I can tell, no error messages are produced in the log files
when the SSH session freezes.

Using kernel-image-2.2.20-sun4u instead of kernel-image-2.4.19-sun4u
does not seem to help.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me what might be the source
of my problems.

Thank you,

Kristjan Onu