Re: "Memory not aligned" kernel problem

Ben Collins wrote:

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 01:15:52PM +0100, Pieter-Paul Spiertz wrote:
Hi Marco,

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, marco wrote:

I just compiled the 2.6.0 kernel. The compile process is just fin, byt the
image i get seems not to be bootable. Right after i select the image at
the sil prompt at boot i get a "Memory not aligned" error and i am kicked
to the openboot prompt again.
What compiler did you use? I wouldn't trust all GCC versions.
GCC 3.2.3 is known to work with the 2.4 kernels.

I consider 2.6.0 a 'most things work' milestone. Sparc support for 2.6
hasn't been tested or reported on this list very much lately. It might be
broken. In that case, it will be fixed in a next version of the 2.6 series.

I'm guessig this is sparc32. I know for a fact that 2.6.0 is pretty
solid on sparc64.

I just booted 2.6.0 on an Ultra1 and it oopsed in the zilog interrupt handler as soon as the sysv scripts were done when init tries to start getty for the serial console. But since I don't currently have a serial console hooked up I didn't copy the oops, sorry. It happens consistantly on boot though so if you want I should be able to get the oops for you.

Thanks,
   Jim.