Re: Hello

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 18:29, Bryan W. Headley wrote:
> Jonathan Andrews wrote:
>
> > Not being a Debian user before now I have no idea who maintains the
apt
> > archive, do they need help porting or is it just a slow process to
> > update?
>
> It's a very long story. Essentially, things get "dropped" regularly
from
> configuration scripts -- like understanding that sun's have sbus frame
> buffer, sunmouse drivers, etc. They get a binary right, and then the
> stuff gets dropped again. If you know what the guys tend to do wrong,
> you're okay, because all the code's there.
>
> Telling them doesn't help much either; they tend to say that they
don't
> have Sparc boxes at home. Your best bet is to offer to beta-test,
or...

Whats the point of Beta testing if you imply the outcome doesn't change
the distribution ?  Or am I reading to much into this ?

I like apt-get its good (not great ! - I cant uninstall some things for
exmaple, and if I try and remove a kde like the useless knews it tries
to remove KDE !).

I was impressed with the online install, i've never installed an OS over
a broadband connection directly onto a machine.

Jon